Buffalo Central Terminal is a historic former railroad station in Buffalo, New York. An active station from 1929 to 1979, the 17-story Art Deco style station was designed by architects Fellheimer & Wagner for the New York Central Railroad. After years of abandonment, it is now owned by the non-profit preservation group Central Terminal Restoration Corporation, which is working to restore and re-purpose the complex. The Central Terminal is located in the city of Buffalo’s Broadway/Fillmore district.
On April 13, 2018, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced $5 million in funding for a restoration of the concourse along with the creation of a year-round event space in the concourse, waiting room areas and parking accessibility along with full capacity for catering and entertainment following the Urban Land Institute recommendations. The CTRC is also expected to transition to a professional staff.
The terminal is located about 2.5 miles (4.0 km) from downtown Buffalo, and consists of several structures, some of which are connected, while others were formerly interconnected.
The office tower is 15 stories, excluding the main floor, and mezzanine. The 271-foot (83 m) building is owned by the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation.
The baggage building on Curtiss Street is owned by the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation. It is a five-story building immediately adjacent to the Main Concourse. The mail building along Curtiss Street is owned by the City of Buffalo. It is a two-story building adjacent to the Baggage Building.
The Railway Express Agency was the early forerunner of today’s Federal Express and UPS. The building is located behind the Mail Building of the complex and is by far the most decayed building. Trains would pull directly into the building to proceed with the load/unloading of goods. This building is currently owned by the City of Buffalo, which has confirmed plans to demolish it.